Book your driving theory test for:
- lorries, buses and coaches, including the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 1a and 1b (theory) and part 2 (case studies)
This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Start now on the theory test booking service
Before you start
You need your:
- UK driving licence number
- email address - you have to book by phone if you don¡¯t have one
- credit or debit card
You must have lived in England, Wales or Scotland for at least 185 days in the last 12 months before the day you take your theory or driving test.
Car and motorcycle tests cost ?23.
Lorry and bus tests cost:
- part 1a (multiple-choice questions) - ?26
- part 1b (hazard perception) - ?11
- part 2 (case studies) - ?23
When you book your test, say if you have a reading difficulty, health condition or disability.
When you don¡¯t need a theory test
You don¡¯t need to take a theory test before you book a driving test to upgrade:
- an automatic car licence to a manual car licence
- from category A1 (small motorcycle) to category A2 (medium motorcycle) if you¡¯ve had the licence for at least 2 years
- from category C1 (medium vehicles) to category C (large vehicles) unless you got your C1 entitlement from passing a car driving test
- from category D1 (minibus) to category D (bus)
- any licence to be able to tow a trailer
You don¡¯t need to take a theory test before you book a:
Help with your booking
Contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) to get help booking your theory test, or book if you don¡¯t have an email address.
There¡¯s a different service to book your theory test in Northern Ireland.